half-time or more in a course of study that requires a high school diploma (HiSET) or GED. Half-time is typically two courses or 6 to 11 credits. Full-time is typically 12 credits or more.
¦ you are attending a area college or university and pursuing an associate’s degree or certificate program that is in a career or technical education field or the college agrees will increase your employability,
¦ you have a government performs-data give and you are doing a work-study job or you anticipate having a work study job at some point during school term,
¦ you are working for shell out normally 20 period a week or more (an average of 80 hours/month),
¦ you are going to college as part of a DTA-approved SNAP education otherwise education activity or another government-sponsored education and training program,
¦ you are enrolled in a college program that does not require a HiSet or GED – such as Adult Basic Ed, English as a second language (ESL) or a certificate program that does not require a HiSET or GED,
¦ you care for a son managing your who is significantly less than age 6, or you care for a man living with your lower than years a dozen and you do not have enough child care coverage to attend school and work 20 hours/participate in work study,
¦ you are a single parent, you are a full time student and you care for a child under age 12,
¦ you are handicapped and discover disability-based masters such as Social Security or SSI, EAEDC, Veterans or MassHealth as disabled,
¦ you are “physically or psychologically not fit to possess a position”- meaning a health care provider verifies that you have a condition which reduces your ability to support yourself, or
¦ you are placed in a post-secondary program through the Mass Rehabilitation Commission or a mental health or drug abuse rehabilitation program (typically based on disability).
Samples of qualified pupils
- Jane are an individual mother and you can a full-time pupil which have one child, age ten. Jane qualifies to own Snap given that a scholar because the she actually is a complete-time beginner and you will unmarried father or mother which have children lower than decades several.
- George is an entire-big date school which have an in-university Functions-Study work 5-10 circumstances each week. George matches new Breeze laws and regulations for students due to the fact he or she is working-Data.
- Suzy are majoring from inside the accounting at the Bunker Mountain People University. Since she attends a community university which can be signed up for an excellent system that trigger employment, Suzy matches the newest pupil guidelines.
- Betsy is the full-date student within UMass Boston. She’s got started unable to select performs if you find yourself probably college. Betsy’s family is lower-income and you may she receives MASSGrant educational funding about Mass Agencies from Advanced schooling. Betsy fits the latest student rules.
If you are attending college not even half-big date (for example, one class per semester), you do not need to meet the student rules to get SNAP benefits. 106 C.M.R.§(A). However, if you are exempt, you may be subject to the ABAWD time limits. See What is the “ABAWD” 3-month time limit for childless adults age 18 to 50? and Who payday loans Fitzgerald is exempt from the 3-month ABAWD time limit?
DTA provides unique laws and regulations that allow many MA low-earnings people pupils so you can qualify for Breeze if they’re signed up for either:
- An associate’s degree or certificate program that the college considers a “career or technical education program,” as defined under the federal Carl D. Perkins Act (most community college certificate and associates degrees fit this definition), or